Re: 169:15 (posted as 169:14) - UNSUCCESSFUL +1.25

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:19:17 PDT

Glenn Overby II <guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net> writes:

> Aron Wall writes:
>
> >But my rule *was* evenly-numbered, with a 14.  I don't see why that isn't just as
> >good (and a more literal) interpretation as the nth fantasy rule.

> However, the past precedents of the Committee, at least as far as I've read them
> (no, I did not go back and read 100 rounds of archives in the last few minutes!),
> support consecutive numbering of rules in the order of posting.  I realize that I'm
> the one who suggested earlier today that common sense doesn't have a whole lot
> to do with FRC, but in this case precedent and common sense (and my ruling) go
> hand-in-hand.  I stand by the ruling of UNSUCCESSFUL.

I have to side with Aron on this one.  FRC custom is that consistency
with *any* reasonable and consistent interpretation of the rules is
all that's required.  Since rule numbering is not addressed by the
RO's, there is no reason a player may not assign an out-of-sequence
number to eir rule, and no reason to insist 169:11's use of
"odd-numbered" must refer to the number which would have been assigned
if consecutive numbers had been used, rather than to the number the
player in fact used.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY