Re: 169:14 judgment

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 09:53:50 PDT

Christopher Bartlett writes:

>I appreciate the reason why you have stated my rule to be invalid, however
>I refer you to your judgments of 169:4 and 169:10, which by my reading do
>not mention space-dependent effects any more explicitly than did I.  I feel
>that precedent in allowing this to slide warrants a reversal of your
>judgment.
>
>     Chris Bartlett

I appreciate your making a case for reversal in a close ruling.  However, your
"precedents" are not quite convincing.

169:4 specifies what happens to Tripper after landing in both cases (he rolls again
on 2, and gets some breathing space on 10).  169:10 also specifies what happens
to Factitious (he reflects on not bumping, breathes a sigh of relief, considers taking
a new turn and decides against it).  Note that 169:1 does not require mentioning
any space-dependent effect at all; it simply requires mention of what happens to
the player after landing.  (Indeed, 169:9 relies on this; Anton didn't even land in a
space.)

But 169:14 never specifies landing on space 7.

If you think an overrule motion is appropriate, I will take no offense; I have
conceded that the question is close.  But I stand by INVALID.

Glenn