Judgement Seppuku: One of them's VALID -12 Style

From: Aron Wall (aron_at_wall.org)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 23:23:35 PDT

Ed Murphy wrote:

> 234:14 "I have not posted any invalid rules this round."
> 234:15 "Except that."
> 234:16 "And that."
> 234:17 "And that."
> 234:18 "And that."
> 234:19 "And that."
> 234:20 "And that."

Validity:

234:14 is INVALID because as the 11th rule it has to abide by a mess of
restrictions and it doesn't.  It is not invalid for the obvious reason,
of its blatant falsehood.  There is nothing automatically invalidating
about falsehood.  Rules are required to be consistent with past *valid*
rules, not necessarily *invalid* rules.  Since it only makes an untrue
comment about invalid rules, it would pass if that were the only issue.

234:15's only content is that 234:14 is invalid.  It has no restrictions
on it.  Thus it is VALID, the 9th of the round.

234:16-20 are all INVALID, because if any of them were valid, then the
first such rule would be the TVRotR, which none of them can be.

Eligibility:

However, there are some counter-intuitive effects which arise from the
fact that all of these rules were posted *simultaneously*.  One is
irrelevant but interesting: because valid rules only need to be
consistent with "previously posted" valid rules (RO 6), none of these
rules had any obligation to be consistent with one another.

The second point of timing, one which is crucial in this case, has to do
with RO 4 which says:

"This eligibility period lasts for seven (7) days from the time of the
rule's posting minus one (1) day for each invalid fantasy rule posted by
the same person after the valid fantasy rule."

Now note that invalid rules only deduct the day from eligibility if they
were posted *after* the last valid fantasy rule.  The use of the verb
"posted" makes it clear that the relevant timing has nothing to do with
index numbers on rules, but has to do with actual chronological time,
based on submissions to the forum.  Thus I can must interpret this text
as indicating that the one valid rule in this bunch extends your
eligibility for a week as usual, but the other invalid rules make no
deduction from your eligibility at all.  Thus your suicide attempt
fails, though even apart from this issue the one valid rule would have
left you a couple days.

Style:

You can't honestly have expected me to approve of this, can you?  Were
you jealous of the individual attention I was giving to Quazie's style
point awards and wanted in on the perks?  Perhaps you failed to read my
style judgement of 234:11 or 234:13 and therefore do not know what I
think about an attempt to avoid trying to *follow* rules by deliberately
shirking them?  (Of course, deliberately invalid rules CAN be stylish,
but only if there is some *reason* for it--something that perhaps
involves work or creativity or just a cool idea on the author's part).

Since there are seven rules here, I can assign them up to 21 style
points total.  While I am seriously tempted to make -21 the style award
here, I shall be more moderate and assign negative points for specific
reasons.  Below I generally judge the rules based on their intent, which
was to be invalid, even though one of them wasn't.

1) You would have made fulfillment of the theme impossible, by ending
the round before the TVRotR could appear.  If not following the theme
justifies a small style point penalty, completely sabotaging it
justifies a large one, even the maximum.  -3 Style.

2) I had just given Quazie a style point penalty with the proviso that
he would be able to redeem himself by posting a rule of a certain kind.
 You could perfectly well have sat back doing nothing for the week and
watched Quazie struggle to do so.  Instead you chose to end the round
prematurely and so give him no chance to redeem himself at all.  All you
would have had to read to know I wouldn't have liked that is my
judgement of his rule.  This also deserves -3 Style all by itself.

3) Despair.  No one in this round has YET interestingly followed a
restriction.  Ending it before anyone can is stupid.  I do not believe
that the TVRotR is impossible, just nearly impossible.  Any red-blooded
Nomic player ought to take that as a challenge to try anyway, rather
then prevent themselves or anyone else from trying.  While somewhat more
subtle, this issue seems to pervade the whole malaise I have detected
this entire round.  If this is the way the FRC has been during the time
I haven't been following it, a succession of mostly rounds in which no
one bothers to post more than a couple rules, with a few where everyone
is too lazy to try to post rules that have to follow any serious
restrictions--then I will agree that the round must end, but disagree on
the method.  If that's how things have been then you should instead make
a proposal to end the game forever due to lack of interest.  I think
that this issue, which has been bothering me for several rules now, is
worth -3 Style just like the others, especially since I have already
expressed myself on the issue.

4) Your failed suicide attempt is uncool.  While morally speaking :-)
one must say that it's better for a suicide attempt to fail, I am here
judging not morally but stylistically.  In order to be stylish, a
suicide attempt must involve a certain somber ritualism, be
well-motivated, and also well-executed.  It should not be boring, as
these rules are.  Your title of "seppuku" makes reference to the rituals
of a culture that believed in stylish suicide, and yet you do not have
even a death haiku to add to the style.  Seppuku committed because of
impatience is crass.  For the absence of any elements of formal style
that I can see, -2 Style.

5) Sheer repetitiveness.  The last five rules are all alike.  Each but
the first gets -0.5 Style for wasting an opportunity to do something
interesting.

6) The one redeeming feature of this rule is 234:15, which has the
advantage of being (albeit unintentionally) VALID.  I shall give it +1
Style for this.

Total: -12 Style

Aron Wall