224:1 -- INVALID +1

From: jcm3_at_cec.wustl.edu
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 11:09:58 PDT

224:1 - INVALID.  This rule contradicts itself.  It
essentially says "This rule has no effect unless it has an
effect."
Assume that the content of rule 224:1 is in effect.  This
contradicts the statement "rule 224:1 will take effect
when it is seconded."
Assume that the content of rule 224:1 is not in effect.
This implicitly contradicts the ROs in that posted rules
are assumed to be in effect when they are posted.
Assuming the content of a posted rule is in effective has
also been our custom.

On the other hand, I will grant you the observation that
the content of a rule can be separated from its rule.
Therefore, if this rule is seconded, I will judge its
content to be in effect even though the container rule is
invalid.  You will still have 1 less day to post another
valid rule, in accordance with the ROs.

If the content of this rule becomes active, I will judge
all "seconds" and "relevant discussion" that do not also
contain rules as if they are rules, in accordance with the
ROs.

Style:
+1 on theme
+1 almost convincing me this rule was valid.
-1 almost convincing me this rule was valid.
+1 promotes participation.
-1 promotes participation that doesn't include new rules.
-----
+1 Total

> One of the benefits of collaboration is that feedback on
> new ideas prevents really bad ideas from getting
instantiated.

> At one end of the spectrum is consensus with no debate
-- the
> only things to agree on are the ones obvious to all
before any
> discussion at all -- at the other end is a vituperative
hell where
> no-one agrees even though everyone fully understands
each others'
> points of view.
>
> In keeping with the theme of "the hive mind," I propose
that all
> rules in round 224 must be seconded before taking
effect.  To stop
> 224 itself from being hypocritical (that role is
reserved for the
> Judge)rule 224:1 will take effect when it is seconded by
another active
> player, giving the committee a chance to forward
alternate proposals.

> Seconding, to comply with this edict, includes a
paraphrase of the
> restrictions imposed by the rule in question, made to
the game forum.

> Furthermore, for purposes of keeping active, seconding
constitutes play.

> Furthermore, for purposes of keeping proposals,
discussion, and
> seconding straight, a convention of prefixing numbers
and titles
> in the subject lines will be followed, (and in case of
collisions
> the number will be incremented in the later posts as
received by
> the archive. As if that happens.) Relevant discussion
may also
> constitute play.
>
> I thought about declaring that "all valid play must be
sent from
> e-mail addresses in domains with valid SPF records" but
that may be