Re: proposals

From: Chuck Carroll (frc_at_chuckcarroll.org)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 06:25:24 PST

1. While I'd like to see (not as part of the ROs, but just as something
that's encouraged) the judge remind people where the ROs can be found at
the start of each round, I definitely don't like giving the judge the
ability to arbitrarily set the ROs, as this proposal does.  I find it
particularly ironic that in proposal 2, the concern is round-killing moves
by players, but proposal 1 would open the door wide to round-killing (and
game-killing) moves by judges!  I vote NO on proposal 1.

2. While round-killing rules are a possibility, they may not be as easy as
you think.  In fact, I think there was a way around the last alleged
round-killer.  I thought of it at the time, but since I hadn't played in
the round to that point I was already ineligible.  Also, round 2 provides
another example of a rule that, at first glance, appeared to be a
round-killer, yet another valid rule was posted after it.  I think the
challenge of getting around what appears at first to be a round-killer can
stimulate some of the most creative play seen in FRC.  Second, there may
come a round which is so out of control that the only way to end it
decisively is to use a round-killer.  I vote NO on proposal 2.

Chuck