Round 222 final summary

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 23:41:03 PDT

Round 223 titles

 Judge:  David Nicol
Wizard:  Eric Wald

Player                                    Eligible until         Style
Eric S Wald <esw8_at_email.byu.edu>          Sun  4 Apr 11:59:21     +2.0
Jae <jcm3_at_cec.wustl.edu>                  Mon  5 Apr 23:26:47     +1.8
David Nicol <davidnicol_at_pay2send.com>     Tue  6 Apr 02:14:21     +1.5

all others                                Sun  4 Apr 02:42:56     +0.0

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 03:59, Eric S Wald wrote:

> <Begin transcription of mission briefing>
>
> Team 222, the agents of KAOS have stolen the plans for our [deleted
for security
> reasons].  Your job is to retrieve those plans before they suspect
that we have
> noticed the theft.  You are free to choose your own strategy, but be
aware that
> troop movements and other suspicious activities are likely to attract
their
> attention.
>
> Above all, you must not mention the [deleted for security reasons].
Even our
> own mailing list might be infiltrated by the agents of KAOS.
>
> This restriction will self-destruct in ten rules.
>
> <End transcription>

VALID, +2.0 style

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 15:26, jcm3_at_cec.wustl.edu wrote:

> <Begin transcription of mission debriefing>
>
> For the record, my name Gary, a CIA double agent.
>
> I've researched our existing records on KAOS, (which, ironically,
stands
> for [deleted for security reasons],) and discovered that they are
located
> in an underwater base off the coast of [deleted for security reasons].
> Our classified plans would probably be very useful to their underwater
> endeavors.
>
> Fortunately, they always [deleted for security reasons], so it should
be
> possible, albeit tricky, to capture one of them.
>
> If KAOS has indeed infiltrated our mailing list, they may be able to
> detect patterns in our automated censoring system.  Therefore, I
recommend
> that if a future post refers to censored information in a previous
post,
> it should reveal a piece of information to suggest what it might be,
> without actually naming what it is.  For example, I revealed something
> about our stolen plans.  This way we can find out what we are talking
> about without letting KAOS know.
>
> <End transcription>

VALID, +1.8 style

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 18:14, David Nicol wrote:

> Twenty years ago this season I was living in a hotel in [XXXXXX], in
> Soviet [XXXXXXX]. I remember being paranoid from too much American
> cold war propaganda and tearing out the fire alarm because I figured
> it was a listening device.  I have been daydreaming that now is the
> time to start a retroactive blog about that spring, on the round
> decade.  This frc play is the first action done with the impulse,
> as if an frc play even deserves to be called an "action."  I had a
> typical American teenager's load of transgressive music with me,
> including a copy of [XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX] by the [XXXX
> XXXXXXXXX] which my soviet friends enjoyed, especially the bits about
> president [XXXXXX XXXXXX] killing the [XXXX]. "All systems go, let's
> [XXXX XXX XXXX] to-ni-i-i-ight."  I guess it was an ironic answer to
> "eat the [XXXX]."
>
> So even if the world is not a war between the [XXXX] and the [XXXX]
> is sure seems like it is some times.
>
> Your mission, agent FRC, should you choose to accept it, is to shed
some
> light on the debate of whether or not there is an ongoing war betwen
the
> [XXXX] and the [XXXX] or if it just seems that way.  Should you choose
> not to accept it, I imagine you will have no trouble determining some
> other, equally interesting mission for yourself.

VALID, +1.5 style