217: 1 Invalid + 1.5

From: Joshua Bearden (joshua_at_bearsend.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 10:08:26 PDT

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:46:02 +0200 (CEST), Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt_at_oryx.com>
wrote:

> --begin 217:1--
> Dear Judge,
>
> it is with a sincere feeling of regret I write this communcation to you.
> You see, ever since my distant relative, the mining engineer, whose
> existence was news to me until I read my email last week, died, I have
> been unable to access his bank accounts.
>
> Seems the bank wants some papers, and getting that paperwork costs more
> money than I have right now -- I didn't quite catch the details.
>
> But wait! Since you, Judge, is such a good friend, I'm sure you'll help
> me. (In fact, if this rule is to be valid, you must, and that pains me,
> really it does.)
>
> All valid rules must induce the Judge to transfer some money to Arnt, or
> in another, specified, way help Arnt access the fabled bank accounts.
> --end 217:1--

Dear Mr. Arnt,

I'm afraid I can do very little to help you without a little more
persuasion. You can't expect to achieve a lot of style without dropping
lots of important sounding names, refering to fanciful government offices
or appealing to my greed while assuring me that this is an entirely safe
and legal business propostion.  On the other hand the deceased mining
engineer's bank accounts do at least pique my interest. (I also appreciate
the intent of the restriction which is dead on theme.  STYLE +1.5)

Your friend indeed,

The Right Hon. Joshua III

P.S. It's considered extremely difficult to make an invalid first rule,
however I think you've accomplished it.  It pains me to say it, but if the
validity of this rule, or further more of "all" rules, depends upon my
actually helping you then I'm afraid I'm unable, (or at this point at least
unwilling), to oblige.  INVALID

Best of luck at aquiring your inheritance. Oh, and my condolences of
course.