Re: 216:10 INVALID +1.25

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 22:50:39 PDT

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) writes:
>
> > Since previous Rules have clearly indicated that the United States
> > Army is in control of the FRC list server, they have power over my
> > judgment. Also, since I live in the United States, they certainly have
> > power over me. Of course, the Judge could also have his power cut by
> > the power company, or his server melted by the orbital mirror, or have
> > Verisign take control of his host (the Judge is a Verisign customer),
> > or be legislated out of existence. Rule is INVALID.
>
> The rule did not attempt to show that the Judge is a higher power than
> Verisign, merely that the Judge is a higher power than Congress and the
> US Army.

The Rule has to do a bit more than provide a higher power than Congress
and the US Army I'm afraid. But more on that in a bit... I had been
reading Rule 216:07 as requiring all subsequent Rules to provide a power
higher than Verisign. In retrospect, that may have been a rather broad
interpretation, so I will ignore my interpretation for the moment.

> None of the Rules so far in this round require transitivity. The mere
> fact that Congress indirectly is a higher power than the Judge does not
> prevent the Judge from directly being a higher power than Congress.

Your Rule specified transitivity in the following paragraph:

] The Judge will decide whether Congress or the US Army is the Higher
] Power... so the Judge is Higher yet. But the Judge can only make his
] Judgment if the list host administrator allows the judgment to go
] through (see 216:1). But the list host administrator can only (see
] 216:2), etc.

Your inclusion of transitivity here led me to consider that the Judge's
power is restricted based upon the transition of power started in 216:01,
and leading up to 216:10. This led to a circular power loop, which I broke
out of by noticing that the Judge's power can be directly circumvented by
some of the powers specified in other Rules. On further consideration of
the Regular Ordinances (ROs), this decision may have been a bit hasty.

> Please reconsider the judgment.

Okay... Let's start from the beginning.

Here are what the ROs say about the Judge:

6.  Judge.  The Judge is responsible for interpreting the ordinances and
    determining the validity of fantasy rules. If a fantasy rule is
    inconsistent with itself, previously posted valid fantasy rules, or
    the regular ordinances, then the Judge shall declare that rule invalid
    or unsuccessful, otherwise e shall declare it valid.

I found 216:10 to inconsistent with itself here: "Congress has power over
the US Army. The US Army has power over Congress." If there was a third
entity involved, that would be workable power loop. With just two entities
in the power loop though, it looks highly inconsistent to me. Perhaps the
orbital mind control lasers have made me less lenient today, but let's
move on.

FNORD

There is the restriction from 216:01 you have to meet: "Any subsequent
valid rule must prove me wrong, by finding a Higher Power." The power is
of course Arnt's power of having the Root password of the FRC list host.
RO 10 allows the judge to specify the location and nature of the official
committee forum, so the Judge is a higher power than this.

There is a restriction from 216:03 you have to meet: "Any subsequent valid
rule must prove me wrong, by finding a Higher Power." The power is
Richard's physical control of the FRC list host. The Judge's control of
the official committee forum from RO 10 means that the Judge is a higher
power than this.

There is a restriction from 216:04 you have to meet: "Any subsequent rule
must prove me wrong, by finding a Higher Power." The power is Arnt's
control of the electricity powering the FRC list server. The Judge still
is a higher power, due to RO 10.

There is a restriction from 216:05 you have to meet: "All subsequent rules
must name a higher power than the one in the previous valid rule, and
furthermore, that entity must not be one that has been named before." The
power to beat this time is the United States Army. 216:10 claims that the
Judge is the higher power due to the power of determining whether or not
the US Congress of the US Army is the higher power. This doesn't seem to
contradict anything, so I can buy that. "The Judge" is also not an entity
that has been named before, so you are safe on that count as well.

There is a restriction from 216:06 that you have to meet: "Any subsequent
rule must prove me wrong, by finding a Higher Power." The power is
Nathan's orbital mirror. RO 10 still allows the Judge to be the higher
power, as I don't see anywhere that the official committee forum has to be