Re: 216:07 VALID +0.75

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen (arnt_at_oryx.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 01:16:48 PDT

Nathan Russell writes:
> --On Wednesday, October 01, 2003 7:16 AM +0200 "Jeff Weston (Sir
> Toby)" <jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com> wrote:
>>  ... I'll assume that all  of the root servers in all of their
>>  respective secret locations could not  be destroyed. Rule is VALID.
>
> I do wonder whether it's correct, though.

Pretty sure it is. Most of the locations are approximately known, but
questions about the exact location are unlikely to meet with friendly
answers (ever since the day A was moved in a hurry), and technical
investigation is infeasible.

About ten of them can probably be guessed to within a building (mostly
the older ones, except a). For the other dozen-odd (mostly f mirrors),
you'll have a hard time finding even the building. You can find the
right subnet for the new non-fs, but that subnet generally spans
multiple sites using L2 dark fiber.

For the many f mirrors, you don't even know the IP address, and they're
purposely located in cities where there are lots of racks filled with
network equipment.

(I expect some of this is gobbledygook to some members. Sorry. Didn't
seem worth writing a three-page lucid explanation.)

--Arnt