Re: Round 209:Rule 2

From: Steve Gardner (gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 20:38:49 PDT

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Alan Riddell wrote:

> > Oh sure, and you probably expect that all rules mean the opposite of
> what
> > they say.
>
> Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. But then maybe, just maybe you
> have managed to break that spell with your brilliantly sarcastic first
> rule. However, I fear that others will be unable to match your brilliant
> "wit" in using what you have shown to be a formidable tool of
> communication. So what to do? I really do believe that others will be
> able to learn the mysteries of this quirky piece of language only by
> picking apart its previous usage. As such all future rules shall make
> comment on the sarcasm in previous rules.

A typically brilliant insight from the ever-perceptive Alan Riddell. To
master the art of sarcasm by analysing the sarcastic utterances of
others! What mind of lesser calibre could have penetrated so deeply? In
the presence of such genius, it seems sheerest folly to offer my own,
tiny-brained suggestion: that to understand sarcasm, we must understand
its sources in the negative emotions: jealousy, hatred, anxiety,
insecurity, fear, etc. Therefore, in order that we should understand
the genesis of sarcasm, let each future rule demonstrate a clear
connection between its use of sarcasm and the basis of that use in the
negative emotions.

--

Steve Gardner                   |
School of Computer Science      |      I've only just realized