Re: 209:12 -- INVALID, +2.0

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 07:17:11 PDT

Ed Murphy <emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com> writes:

> > Once again Jesse succumbs to his perennial hybris
>                                               ^^^^^^
>
> At this rate, I'm surprised you can even read fantasy rules, much less
> write them.  What is this, a portmanteau for "hybrid" and "fibrous"?  One
> is inspired to contemplate a Naugahyde couch, and consequently the fate of
> the countless Naugas who gave their life that it might be constructed.
>
> > Future rule-writers must describe their own abilities in suitably
> > grovelling terms so as to steer clear of Jesse's error and uphold the
> > distinction between all of you, and ME.
>
> I remember when the grovel was invented.  I didn't think it would catch on.
>
> There, are those "suitably grovelling terms"?  I certainly do want to uphold
> the distinction between me and YOU, though probably not for the reasons you
> have in mind.
>
> Each future rule shall quote at least two passages from the previous rule
> (whether valid or not), point out at least one perceived imperfection within
> the quoted material, and offer a correction.
>
> --
> Rule Date: 2003-06-01 23:22:33 GMT

Validity: Quotes the last rule, includes an ad hominem attack, uses a
previously unused term (portmanteau) which might in some circles be
considered abstruse.  Describes own abilities in suitably grovelling
terms -- suitable to Ed Murphy, anyway.

However:

(1) Does this comment on the sarcasm in previous rules?  It comments
    on the previous rule, but not on anything that is obviously
    sarcasm.

(2) I can see nothing that can be construed as even a backhanded
    acknowledgement of Joshua's genius.

The rule must be considered INVALID.

Style: Nicely written, good restriction; pity it was invalid.  +2.0.

Eligibility: Due to invalidity, Ed's eligibility period is cut short
and we are down to two players:

Joshua              2003-06-06 02:42:33 GMT
Jesse Welton        2003-06-03 14:35:16 GMT
All others:         ineligible

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY