Rule 200:9

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 11:29:17 PST

I set off this bargain basement firework I bought last July.  It lasts
4 seconds and explodes in a brilliant display of .... beige???  Sigh.
You get what you pay for.

Still, what a party, eh?  Seems like everybody who's anybody from the
world of books, comics, and films is here:

There's a big contingent from The Lord of the Rings:

    Frodo
    Sam
    Aragorn
    Gimli
    Legolas
    Boromir
    Gandalf (should've bought my firework from him, eh?)
    Sauron
    Wormtongue
    Saruman
    Eowyn
    Galadriel
    Tom Bombadil
    Elrond
    Treebeard

While just a random few from the Foundation Trilogy:

    Hari Seldon
    Arkady Darrell
    The Mule
    Preem Palver

>From various Disney films come:

    Snow White
    The Seven Dwarves
    Beauty
    The Beast
    Lady
    The Tramp

and from a certain novel by Herman Melville:

    Ishmael
    Ahab
    Moby Dick (watching balefully from offshore)

>From the works of Mark Twain:

    Tom Sawyer
    Becky Thatcher
    Aunt Polly
    Huckleberry Finn
    Jim
    The Duke
    The Dauphin

and from the works of Arthur Conan Doyle:

    Sherlock Holmes
    Dr Watson
    Mycroft Holmes
    Moriarty

A raucus delegation from Looney Tunes:

    Bugs Bunny
    Daffy Duck
    Sylvester
    Tweety
    Yosemite Sam
    Coyote
    Road Runner
    Pepe LePew
    Marvin the Martian

and several from Dr Seuss:

    The Cat In the Hat
    Thing One
    Thing Two
    The Grinch

>From a certain show on Nickelodeon:

    Spongebob Squarepants
    Patrick
    Squidward
    Mr Krabs

>From The Wizard of Oz:

    Dorothy
    Cowardly Lion
    Tin Man
    Scarecrow
    The Wizard of Oz
    Good Witch of the North

A token few from the works of Robert Heinlein:

    Valentine Michael Smith
    Lazarus Long
    Jubal Harshaw

Several personages from Star Wars:

    Luke Skywalker
    Princess Leia
    Han Solo
    Chewbacca
    R2D2
    C-3PO
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Darth Vader
    Jabba the Hutt
    Yoda
    Jar Jar Binks
    Padme Amidala
    Boba Fett

>From DC Comics:

    Batman
    Robin
    The Riddler
    The Joker
    The Penguin
    Superman
    Supergirl
    Lex Luthor
    Spider-Man

and from The Sandman:

    Destiny
    Dream
    Death
    Desire
    Despair
    Delirium
    Destruction

A motley lot from Shakespeare:

    Romeo
    Juliet
    Mercutio
    Oberon
    Titania
    Ariel
    Umbriel
    Bottom
    Falstaff
    King Lear
    Cordelia

And from Disney, again:

    Mickey Mouse
    Minnie Mouse
    Donald Duck

>From Jim Henson:

    Kermit
    Fozzie
    Miss Piggy
    Ralph
    Dr Teeth
    Zoot
    Swedish Chef
    Gonzo
    Scooter

And then there are the ones from the comics pages... several from Doonesbury:

    Mike Doonesbury
    Uncle Duke
    Zonker Harris
    Zipper Harris
    B.D.
    Boopsie
    Joanie Caucus
    Rick Redfern
    Mr Butts

And several more from Peanuts:

    Charlie Brown
    Snoopy
    Linus
    Lucy
    Schroeder
    Peppermint Patty
    Pigpen
    Woodstock

>From Frank and Ernest, rather obviously:

    Frank
    Ernest

And from Mr Boffo, rather less obviously:

    Weederman

Back to the TV for a trio from Blackadder:

    Edmund Blackadder
    Baldrick
    Lord Melchett

and their friends from Fawlty Towers:

    Basil Fawlty
    Sybil Fawlty
    Manuel
    Polly

More Brits from Doctor Who:

    The Doctor
    K-9
    Romana
    The Master

While from Star Trek we have:

    James T. Kirk
    Spock
    Leonard H. McCoy
    Montgomery Scott
    Uhura
    Chekhov
    Sulu
    Jean-Luc Picard
    Beverly Crusher
    Deanna Troi
    William Riker

Speaking of Q, there's another one in this group from the books of Ian Fleming:

    James Bond
    Miss Moneypenny

>From the fiction of Stephen Brust:

    Vlad Taltos
    Kragar
    Morrollan
    Sethra Lavode
    Aliera
    Cawti
    Khaavren
    Pel
    Tazendra
    Aerich

>From the Discworld:

    Rincewind
    Twoflower
    Death
    Vetinari
    Sam Vimes
    Granny Weatherwax
    Nanny Ogg
    Magrat Garlick
    Chancellor Ridcully
    The Bursar
    Ponder Stibbons
    The Librarian
    Cohen the Barbarian

And of course:

    Gilligan
    The Skipper
    Thurston Howell III
    Mrs Howell
    Ginger
    The Professor
    Mary Ann

Oh, and Gandalf wants me to say this: The most exciting fireworks
shows always have at least three fireworks in the air at any time.
Future rules should follow Gandalf's advice.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY