Re: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam... (fwd)

From: Aron Wall (aron_at_wall.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:48:52 PDT

"Richard S. Holmes" wrote:

> rsholmes_at_mailbox.syr.edu (Richard S. Holmes) writes:
>
> > On the other hand, a Proposal directing the Judge to make a change to
> > the Forum probably would have legal force,
>
> Er, maybe not.  On closer examination of the ROs, this doesn't seem to
> qualify for a Proposal.  Proposals either amend the ROs (which I don't
> think is called for -- unless to add a self-repealing amendment, which
> is a loathsome circumlocution) or to override the ROs for a single
> round (and while a Proposal to change the Forum could be formulated as
> an override of RO#10, such a change ought to be permanent).

But they can also override "the decision of the Judge".  Normally this
occurs in the context of a decision on rule validity, but the R.O.'s do
not specify this, and I am of the opinion that this applies to all
decisions of the Judge, which allows for the committee to overrule a crazy
interpretation of the R.O.'s which does not affect rules directly, which I
think is a good thing.  So, simply overrule by proposal the decision of
the Judge not to change the forum to place X, and the forum must change to
place X.

Aron Wall