Re: 197:7

From: Steve Gardner (gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 16:14:42 PST

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Richard S. Holmes wrote:

> "Leonhard, Christian" <Christian_Leonhard_at_ADP.com> writes:
>
> > Where I see 197:7 as tripping up is in not satisfying 196:1's requirement
> > that "each Rule in this round describe a gift or gifts that its author gives
> > to FRC."

> > Of course, the judge is within his rights to decide that going out and
> > purchasing gifts with money which was itself a gift from someone else is
> > sufficient to qualify as giving a gift in its own right.
>
> Or simply that "gives" in 197:1 can be interpreted as "delivers",
> without connoting that the gift is the author's.

I think the gift is the author's in both senses - the act of selection
in accordance with my own aesthetic sense makes the gift "from me" in an
important sense, regardless of who paid for it.

--

Steve Gardner                     |  Each writer creates their own
School of Computer Science        |  precursors.