Re: Proposal 185:C

From: Aron Wall (aron_at_wall.org)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 12:36:10 PDT

I believe that the proposal, as currently stated, would not in fact have
the effect that Jonathan thinks it has.  The Judge is constrained to decide
whether or not a rule is VALID or not based only on whether or not it is
consistant with previous fantasy rules.  This proposal does not release the
Judge from this obligation, merely allow him to change his mind on the
question.  If the phrase "for any reason" were inserted then it would work.

Jonathan Van Matre wrote:

> PROPOSED:  For the duration of Round 185, The Judge shall have the
> authority to change eir ruling on any rule, and the style points awarded
> to that rule, at any time.
>
> ARGUMENT:  It is expected that the Judge will not do so arbitrarily, but
> within the constraints of Rule 185:1.  This is to facilitate a changing
> player "reputation" which is synonymous with the style score, and allow
> players to invalidate each other's rules by noting errors in them,
> thereby setting up a climate in which accusations of libel, slander, and
> defamation may run rampant.  See Rule 185:1 for a more detailed
> explanation.

Also, why is it "expected" that the Judge will only invoke this power
within the confines of the first rule?  I suggest that:

1) The Wizard, power hungry as always, wishes to have his and only his rule
have this special privilege.

2) The Judge, considering his character, would be unlikely to show the
restraint requested (which I may note is not part of the proposal itself).
While his motives for this would be entirely selfish, I think that this
lack of reststraint would service the greater good of equal meyham for all.

Aron Wall