187:5 VALID -1

From: Jesse Welton (jwelton_at_pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 07:22:49 PDT

187:5   Jonathan David Amery    2002-06-26 12:31:55 VALID       -1

> What is the pattern of the capital letters in the last line of this rule?
>
> 187:4 tells us that:
>
> "All  future rules must pose a question and must answer the questions
> posed by its nearest precedent."
>
> HOWeVer It failS to state That only valid Rule scan be nearest precEdents.

Apology: I'm terribly sorry to everyone for getting to this so late.
It's especially bad given the linkage between each rule and its direct
predecessor.  Bad Judge Jesse.  No biscuit.  (-2 style for the Judge.)

Validity: The riddle is, sadly, malformed.  It doesn't have the
intended answer.  Is a riddle a riddle, if it doesn't have an elegant
answer?  It seems that in the absence of an elegant answer, this
riddle might reduce to little more than "The pattern is that letters
1, 2, 3, 5 ... are capitalized."  But that's just counting, not a
puzzle at all.  On the other hand, who's to say that there isn't a
somewhat elegant answer that would make it a viable riddle, just not
the one intended?  With that in mind, I must conclude that it is, in
fact, a riddle.  There are no other problems.  VALID.

Style: The puzzle isn't, to me, very riddle-like.  The miscount makes
this even worse.  On the other hand, the restriction tightens the
meaning of 187:4.  On balance, I'll give it -1.

-Judge "Slowpoke" Jesse