Re: 178:2

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen (arnt_at_gulbrandsen.priv.no)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 13:51:41 PST

"Richard S. Holmes" <rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu>
> Consulting the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, we also find:

Ah, the queen of dictionaries!

Since this round looks like it'll need a few definitions, let me help
things along a bit with an excerpt from the god-emperor of dictionaries.

--Arnt

  peculiar, part of speech a. and n.
     Alvey transcription {IPA: pI"kju:lI@(r)}
     variant form(s)

     Also (15th c.) -ier, (16th c.) -er, -yer, -eer, -yar, (16th c.-17th
     c.) -iare.
     etymology a. obs. F. peculier (16th c. in Godef.), or ad. L.
     peculiar-is of or relating to private property, f. peculi-um property
     in cattle, private property, that which is one's own, f. pecu cattle.
     Cf. also OF. peculiaire (15th c.) in same sense.

     A. adj.

     A. 1. That is one's own private property; that belongs or pertains to,
            or characterizes, an individual person, place, or thing, or
            group of persons or things, as distinct from others. Const.
            with preceding possessive (my own, the king's own), or with to.
            peculiar to now always denotes 'belonging exclusively to`;
            formerly it might denote 'belonging specially to`.

     A. 1. a. (obs) Of property, material possession, etc. Obs.

            QUOTATION(S):
            circa 1460 obs. FORTESCUE, Abs. & Lim. Mon. ix. (1885) 130 "How
            necessarie it is pat the kynge haue grete possescions, and
            peculier livelod ffor his owne suirte."
            before 1548 HALL, Chron., Hen. VI 151 "The Duke of Gloucester
            had not so muche aduaunced..the common wealth and publique
            vtilite, as his awne priuate thinges & peculier estate."
            1652 NEEDHAM, tr. Selden's Mare Cl. 6 "The Sun, Aer, Water,
            Nature did not frame Peculiar; A Public gift I claim."
            before 1668 DAVENANT, Man's the Master IV. i, "Now even all
            peculiar fields are turn'd to common roads about this populous
            town."
            1724 DE FOE, Tour Gt. Brit. I. 123 "Sturbridge Fair... This
            square..is separate and peculiar to the wholesale dealers in
            the woollen manufacture."

     A. 1. b. In general sense, esp. of qualities, features,
            characteristics, etc. obs. peculiar institution, a cant phrase
            in U.S. for Negro slavery, formerly often spoken of in the
            Southern states as 'the peculiar domestic institution of the
            South`. Obs.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1509 FISHER, Fun. Serm. C'tess Richmond Wks. (1876) 294 "The
            dayes that by the chirche were appoynted she kept them
            diligently and sereously, & in especyall the holy lent..besyde
            her other peculer fastes of deuocion, as saint Anthony, mary
            Maudeleyn."
            1551 ROBINSON, tr. More's Utop. I. (1895) 51 "There is an other
            [cause] which as I suppose is proper and peculiare to yow
            Englishe men alone."
            1555 Fardle of Facions II. v. 148 "It was a peculier maner of
            the Kynges of the Medes, to haue many wiues."
            1708 POPE, Jan. & May 52 "All other goods by fortune's hand are
            giv'n, A Wife is the peculiar gift of heav'n."
            1721 BAILEY, , "Birch, a Tree peculiar to Great Britain."
            1766 FORDYCE, Serm. Yng. Wom. (1767) II. xiii. 222 "A timidity
            peculiar to your sex."
            1826 DISRAELI, Viv. Grey VI. ii, "Imitating the peculiar sound
            of every animal that he met."
            circa 1852 S. Carolina Gaz. (Farmer Dict. Amer.), "The dangers
            which at present threaten the peculiar domestic institutions of
            the South."

     A. 1. c. Astr. Applied to the motion or velocity of a celestial object
            relative to a group of objects of the same kind; spec. that of
            a star in the frame of reference in which the average velocity
            of the stars in the neighbourhood of the sun is zero.

            QUOTATION(S):
            [1890 A. M. CLERKE, Syst. Stars xxii. 340 "The motus peculiaris
            itself is only a projection upon the sphere of a line of travel
            which may make any angle with the line of sight.]"
            1927 H. N. RUSSELL, et al. Astron. II. xix. 668 "The peculair
            motions of the fainter stars are more rapid than those of the
            brighter."
            1936 E. HUBBLE, Realm of Nebulę v. 106 "It was expected that,
            when the solar motion was removed, the residual, peculiar
            motions of the nebulę would be much smaller than the observed
            velocities and..that they would be distributed at random."
            1967 R. KURTH, Introd. Stellar Statistics ii. 14 "The
            parallactic and peculiar motions of the stars close to the
            Sun..can be estimated if the hypothesis..is adopted that the
            average of the peculiar motions vanishes."
            1975 G. O. ABELL, Exploration of Universe (ed. 3) xx. 396/1
            "The space velocity of a star, its motion with respect to the
            sun, is made up of both the star's peculiar velocity and a
            component due to solar motion."
            1978 PASACHOFF, & KUTNER, University Astron. iii. 62 "Most
            peculiar velocities are a few tens of km/sec; very few are
            above 100 km/sec."
            Ibid. 64 "If we observe a large number of stars, their peculiar
            motions, since they are random, will average to about zero."

     A. 2. (obs) Of separate or distinct constitution or existence;
            independent, particular, individual; single.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1507 obs. FISHER, Fun. Serm. Hen. VII, Wks. (1876) 272 "He
            sente money to be dystrybuted for .x. M. masses peculeer to be
            sayd for hym."
            1551 RECORDE, Pathw. Knowl. II. Introd., "Minding to reserue
            the proofes to a peculiar boke which I will..set forth."
            1602 SHAKES., Ham. III. iii. 11 "The single and peculiar life
            is bound..To keepe it selfe from noyance."
            before 1711 KEN, Hymns Evang. Poet. Wks. 1721 I. 155 "Ev'ry
            Thorn gave a peculiar Wound."
            1799 W. TOOKE, View Russian Emp. II. 50 "The Khanate of Kazan
            subsisted as a peculiar state till the year 1552."

     A. 3. Distinguished in nature, character, or attributes from others;
            particular, special.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1590 SIR J. SMYTH, Disc. Weapons 2 "Detracting..the excellent
            effects of our peculiar and singular weapon the Long Bowe."
            1628 FELTHAM, Resolves II. xxxi, "We seldome find any, without
            a peculiar delight in some peculiar thing."
            1642 ROGERS, Naaman To Rdr., "Sermons are more peculiar for the
            suppressing of vicious manners."
            1776 ADAM SMITH, W.N. V. ii. (1869) II. 437 "A more proper
            subject of peculiar taxation."
            1849 GROTE, Greece II. xlvii. VI. 66 "The position of the
            Corinthians was peculiar."
            1860 TYNDALL, Glac. I. iv. 35 "This latter point..is one of
            peculiar interest."

     A. 4. a. Having a character exclusively its own, sui generis; unlike
            others, singular, uncommon, unusual, out-of-the-way; strange,
            odd, 'queer`.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1608 TOPSELL, Serpents (1658) 598 "The tongue of a serpent is
            peculiar; for..it is also cloven at the tip."
            1726 BUTLER, Serm. Forgiveness Wks. 1874 II. 113 "We are in
            such a peculiar position, with respect to injuries done to
            ourselves, that we can scarcely..see them as they really are.
            " 1811 A. T. THOMSON, Lond. Disp. III. (1818) 445 "The odour is
            peculiar and aromatic; the taste gratefully acid.
            " 1837 DICKENS, Pickw. xx, "Mr. Weller's knowledge of London
            was extensive and peculiar.
            " 1888 M. E. BRADDON, Fatal Three I. i, "She is a girl of
            peculiar temper."
            Mod. colloq. "He was always thought a little peculiar."

     A. 4. b. Astr. Of a galaxy: not belonging to any of the types,
            elliptical, spiral, and irregular, which include almost all
            galaxies.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1936 E. HUBBLE, Realm of Nebulę ii. 47 "The remaining
            irregulars might be arbitrarily placed in the regular sequence
            as highly peculiar objects."
            1959 Listener 31 Dec. 1152/1 "There are a few galaxies that do
            not fit conveniently into this classification of spirals,
            ellipticals, and irregulars. These are the 'peculiar`
            galaxies."
            1972 JASTROW, & THOMPSON, Astron. 213 "In all the cases that
            have been examined thus far, the unusual event that altered the
            appearance of the peculiar galaxy seems to have been either a
            collision with another galaxy, or a gigantic explosion within
            the galaxy."
            1973 Sci. Amer. Dec. 39/1 "One or 2 percent, however, do not
            conform. Because of their bizarre appearance or unusual spectra
            they are known to astronomers as 'peculiar` galaxies."

     A. 5. peculiar jurisdiction (authority, etc.), in Canon Law, a
            jurisdiction proper to itself, exempt from or not subject to
            the jurisdiction of the bishop of the diocese. Cf. B. 5.

            QUOTATION(S):
            circa 1525 ABP. WARHAM, Let. to Wolsey in Ellis Orig. Lett.
            Ser. III. cxxxv, "The value of the benefices within the
            diocesse of Canterburie and the iurisdiction peculiar of the
            same."
            1555 J. PHILPOT, in Foxe A. & M. (1583) 1799, "I haue not
            offended in your Dioces. For that whiche I spake..was in Paules
            Churche..which..is a peculiar iurisdiction belonging to the
            Deane of Paules."
            1726 AYLIFFE, Parergon 94 "The Archbishop whereof has also a
            peculiar Jurisdiction in thirteen Parishes within the City of
            London [etc.]."
            1822 D., & S. LYSONS, Brit., Devon, "Colyton... The Dean and
            Chapter of Exeter are patrons of the Vicarage... The Church is
            in their peculiar jurisdiction."
            1840 Penny Cycl. XVII. 103/2 "The living of Dorchester [Oxon.]
            is a perpetual curacy, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar
            court of Dorchester."

     A. 6. peculiar people:

     A. 6. a. a name applied to the Jews as God's own chosen people; hence
            transf. in religious sense. (Also p. race , nation, etc.)

            QUOTATION(S):
            1494 FABYAN, Chron. VII. 550 "Of his great mercy he hath
            visyted vs, I truste, his peculier people."
            1535 COVERDALE, Deut. xiv. 2 "The Lord hath chosen the to be
            his awne peculier people from amonge all the nacions."
            ---, Titus ii. 14 "To pourge vs to be a peculiar people vnto
            himselfe."
            1651 HOBBES, Leviath. II. xxxi. 187 "Having chosen out one
            peculiar Nation for his Subjects."
            1738 WESLEY, Ps. LI. xxi, "The dear peculiar Race Their
            grateful Sacrifice shall bring.

     A. 6. b. A religious sect (called also the Plumstead Peculiars)
            founded in 1838, and most numerous about London. They have no
            preachers, creeds, ordinances, or church organization, and they
            rely wholly on prayer for the cure of disease, rejecting
            medical aid; this last is the feature which brings them
            specially under public notice.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1875 Punch 19 June 267/1 "Of course the Peculiar People have
            the right to believe in miracle and also the right to
            disbelieve in medicine."
            1892 Spectator 19 Mar. 391 "Drugs may be dispensed with
            altogether, as by the Peculiar People or the Faith Healers."
            1901 Essex Weekly News 29 Mar. 2/4 "'Peculiar` parents censured
            at Barking."

     A. 7. (obs) obs. in peculiar, as a peculiarity; in particular.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1607 TOPSELL, Four-f. Beasts 315 "Egipt had this in peculiar,
            that no other order, no not a senator, might be president or
            govern among them."
            1690 LOCKE, Govt. I. xi. sect. 162 "One may as well say,..this
            Dominion was to belong in peculiar to one of his Issue."
            1704 NORRIS, Ideal World II. xii. 435 "As for Truth he must be
            a great stranger to her and to himself too, that shall look
            upon it as a possession in peculiar."

     B. n. (absolute uses of the adj.)

     B. I. In general senses.

     B. I. 1. a. A peculiar property or possession; a property or privilege
            exclusively one's own.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1650 T. B., Worcester's Apophth. 105 "Leave was obtained..that
            he might be buried in Windsor Castle (where there is a peculiar
            for the family)."
            1737 WHISTON, Josephus, Hist. V. xi. sect. 2 "They would
            preserve..that temple which was their peculiar.
            " 1846 GROTE, Greece II. vi. II. 543 "How far the peculiar of
            the primitive Sparta extended we have no means of determining."
            1865 ---, Plato I. xiv. 451 "A peculiar appertaining to
            philosophers, distinct from though analogous to the peculiar of
            each several art."

     B. I. 1. b. (obs) = obs. peculiar people (A. 6a): said of the Jews,
            and of Christian believers. Obs.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1609 BIBLE, (Douay) Mal. iii. 17 "And they shal be to me..to my
            peculiar, and I wil spare them, as a man spareth his sonne."
            before 1617 BAYNE, On Eph. (1658) 116 "Beleevers are a peculiar
            to God, are set apart."
            before 1638 MEDE, Wks. (1672) 181 "We who are God's peculiars,
            must demean our selves peculiarly both toward God and man."
            1659 HAMMOND, On Ps. cvi. 40 "He would own them for ever as his
            peculiar."

     B. I. 1. c. (obs) One's own wife or mistress. Obs.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1615 obs. G. SANDYS, Trav. 66 "Yet are they [Turks] to meddle
            with none but their owne peculiars: the offending woman they
            drowne, and the man they gansh.
            " before 1700 B. E., Dict. Cant. Crew, "Peculiar, a Mistress."

     B. I. 2. (obs) obs. one's peculiar, one's private interest or special
            concern. Obs.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1625 in Cosin's Corr. (Surtees) I. 60 "In respect of my
            peculiar I am better."
            1637 R. ASHLEY, tr. Malvezzi's David Persecuted 54 "Hee is
            governed by that which appertaines to the King, and not by his
            owne peculiar."
            1720-1 Lett. fr. Mist's Jrnl. (1722) II. 256 "The Concern they
            will learn for the Affairs of the Universe, will naturally lead
            them to a close attention to their own Peculiar.

     B. I. 3. (obs) A peculiar attribute or quality; a peculiarity; a
            special or exclusive characteristic. Obs.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1589 obs. PUTTENHAM, Eng. Poesie I. ii. (Arb.) 21 "A peculiar,
            which our speech hath in many things differing from theirs."
            1625 BP. R. MONTAGU, App. Cęsar 231 "Omnipresence is the
            absolute Peculiar of the Almighty."
            1657 W. RAND, tr. Gassendi's Life Peiresc I. 150 "Peradventure
            [those Stigmata, or insensible parts] might..belong to some
            peculiar of that disease which is termed Elephantiasis."
            1701 NORRIS, Ideal World 206 "There is this peculiar in vision
            that is not in our other senses, that it includes an outward
            objective perception."
            before 1750 A. HILL, Wks. (1753) II. 396 "Your poetry is a
            peculiar, that will make it impossible, you should be
            forgotten."

     B. I. 4. (obs) An individual member of a class or part of a collective
            whole; a particular, item, or detail.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1610 obs. HEALEY, St. Aug. Citie of God VII. ii. (1620) 247
            "Why..could not he..extend his generall power through each
            peculiar?"
            1713 DERHAM, Phys.-Theol. VI. v. 365, "I shall..speak only of
            two peculiars more."

     B. II. Specific and technical senses.

     B. II. 5. a. Eccl. A parish or church exempt from the jurisdiction of
            the ordinary or bishop in whose diocese it lies, either as a
            royal peculiar (i.e. a chapel exempt from any jurisdiction but
            that of the sovereign) or as subject to the jurisdiction of a
            bishop of another diocese, or to that of a dean, chapter,
            prebendary, etc. court of peculiars, a branch of the court of
            arches having jurisdiction over the peculiars of the archbishop
            of Canterbury. (Peculiars were, for most purposes, abolished by
            Act 10 & 11 Vict. c. 98.)

            QUOTATION(S):
            1562 BP. W. ALLEY, in Strype Ann. Ref. (1709) I. xxxi. 310
            "That Bishops may have jurisdiction to call all criminal causes
            before them, and to reform other disorders in all Peculiars,
            and places exempt, which be speluncę latronum."
            1631 WEEVER, Anc. Fun. Mon. 309 "Shorham is but a Peculiar to
            the Archbishop, who holds his prerogatiue wheresoeuer his lands
            do lie."
            1658 PHILLIPS, , "The Court of Peculiars."
            1704 J. HARRIS, Lex. Techn. I, "Peculiar, signifies a
            particular Parish or Church that hath Jurisdiction within its
            self, for Probat of Wills, &c. exempt from the Ordinary, and
            the Bishops Courts."
            1768 BLACKSTONE, Comm. III. v. 65 "The court of peculiars is a
            branch of and annexed to the court of arches. It has a
            jurisdiction over all those parishes dispersed through the
            province of Canterbury in the midst of other dioceses, which
            are exempt from the ordinary's jurisdiction, and subject to the
            metropolitan only."
            1865 Pall Mall G. 21 Aug. 9/1 "Burian, the royal deanery, has
            been a peculiar since the days of Athelstan, and kept its
            privileges when other peculiars were abolished."
            1899 Westm. Gaz. 29 Mar. 10/2 "The Dean of the Arches took his
            title from the old Court of Peculiars of the Archbishop of
            Canterbury, who formerly exercised jurisdiction over thirteen
            exempt parishes in the diocese of London and fifty-seven
            parishes called 'peculiars` in other dioceses... These
            'peculiars` were abolished about fifty years ago, and the Court
            of which the Dean of the Arches was Dean went with them."

     B. II. 5. b. transf. and fig. A place, district, office, etc., exempt
            from ordinary jurisdiction.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1591 G. FLETCHER, Russe Commw. (Hakl. Soc.) 37 "Out of the
            province..of Vagha, there is given him for a peculiar exempted
            out of the Chetfird of Posolskoy, 32,000 rubbels.
            " 1605 CAMDEN, Rem. 4 "That Scotland was by them accounted an
            exempt kingdome, and a Peculiar properly appertaining to the
            Roman Chappell."
            1651 N. BACON, Disc. Govt. Eng. II. iv. (1739) 21 "It [the
            Chancery] soon becomes a kind of Peculiar, exempting it self
            from the ordinary course in manner of Trial, and from the
            ordinary rules of Law."

     B. II. 6. (obs) In the former colonies and provinces of New England: A
            district, or piece of land, not included in any 'town`, nor as
            yet incorporated as a 'town`.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1720 Connect. Col. Rec. (1872-4) VI. 210 "Resolved..That Mr.
            John Read, who dwells between Fairfield and Danbury, be
            likewise annually listed, as a peculiar to Danbury."
            1737 Ibid. VIII. 133 "All peculiars, or lands not as yet laid
            within the bounds of any town,..shall be assessed by the rates
            of the next town unto it.
            " 1739 Ibid. 230 "Being informed that a certain piece of land
            in the county of Windham..is not in any town but still remains
            a peculiar,..Be it enacted..That the said tract of land be
            annexed to the town of Voluntown."
            1779 Vermont State Papers (1823) 297.
            1809 obs. KENDALL, Trav. I. ii. 17 "Precincts or peculiars are
            in some cases ordered to be rated at or in certain towns, and
            in such cases are rated and governed by the town."

     B. II. 7. a. A nickname in Oxford (c 1837-8) for members of the
            'Evangelical` party. (Cf. A. 6a. )

            QUOTATION(S):
            1837 J. H. NEWMAN, Let. in Purcell Manning (1895) I. 224 "The
            amusing thing is that the unfortunate Peculiars are attacked on
            so many sides."
            1838 BP. WILBERFORCE, Diary in Ashwell Life (1879) I. 119 "[He]
            had all the faults of the low tone of the Peculiars strongly
            marked."
            1895 PURCELL, Manning I. 114 "'Puseyites and Peculiars` stood
            shoulder to shoulder."

     B. II. 7. b. One of the Peculiar People: see A. 6b.

            QUOTATION(S):
            1876 C. M. DAVIES, Unorth. Lond. 175 (heading) "The Plumstead
            'Peculiars`."
            Ibid. 176 "The risk..of having a..contagious disease spread..by
            the manipulations of these 'Peculiars`."
            1893 in Daily News 8 Apr. 7/4 "All you who mean to follow in
            the same old way and be Peculiars follow me."