169:5 - VALID +1

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 00:30:25 PDT

Richard S. Holmes writes:

>It's my turn!  I place my token on Start and wonder why no one's
>described their token yet.  Mine's in the shape of an invisible set of
>bagpipes.  Anyway, with a deft flick of the wrist, I throw the dice.
>
>A 5 and a 2.  I move my Invisible Bagpipes to Square 7.  Now, when you
>land on a square whose numerical portion is an even multiple of 7, you
>must draw a Constraint card.
>
>The card I draw says, "From now on, when the dice are thrown, the
>number that comes up on each die must be equal to the number of
>letters (modulo 5) in one of the first five words of the previous
>valid rule.  For a throw of two dice, two distict words of the first
>five must be used."

The Judgement:

Validity: No problems.  Note that the token is placed on Start, as was first explicitly
done in 169:4.  I have no trouble with this being different from landing on a player;
thus, the Wizard's piece is not bounced.

Style:  +0.5 for the bagpipes.  +0.75 for the constraint card mechanic, which not
only defines several spaces but also encourages future rule-writers to add
constraints.  +0.25 because the rule obeys its own restrictions.  -0.5 for ambiguity;
the clear intent of the rule suggests "multiple" or the redundant "exact multiple"
rather than the actually used "even multiple" which can be interpreted differently.
Net of +1.

Reflections:  We're getting a game built around the board now.  Tokens, cards,
funky dice, and of course cool rules.

Glenn E. Overby II  "da judge"
Clinton Twp, MI
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/

"Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature,
and we responded with the best of America...None of us will
ever forget this day, yet we go forward to defend freedom
and all that is good and just in our world."
   -- President George W. Bush
      11th September 2001