169:16 - VALID +1.75

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 06:38:39 PDT

Factitious writes:

>169:16
>

><><>
>    3, and another 3!  Seems to me that’s a good roll, as it allows me to choose
which
>branch of the path to follow.  Going to 19a would get me closer to the end, but I
am a
>patient gameplayer, and will instead take the lengthier route by going to 19.
>    Of course, I can roll again after getting doubles.  My next roll is also double
>threes, which moves me to 25.
>    Since spaces marked with square numbers are hostile by nature, players
landing on
>them must then move 3 spaces back, minus the player’s charisma.  This is
because
>charismatic players are more able to influence the space’s feelings.  (Yes, of
course
>spaces have feelings.  At least, the odd ones do.  Some of the others are too
>even-tempered for strong emotions, and many odd ones are more in tune with
their primal
>nature.)
>    After moving back 3 minus 0 spaces, I end up on 22, just one space away
from The
>Volcano.  The Volcano is not a space I would care to land on.  In addition to
requiring
>a Constraint Card to be drawn, landing on The Volcano makes a player’s piece
turn into a
>pile of ash!  I do not want my beautiful bottle reduced to such an ignominous
condition,
>and I hope I will be able to stay past The Volcano.
>><><
>--
>Rule Date: 2001-10-04 05:27:34 GMT

The Judgement:

Validity:  No problems.

Style:  The square space limitation is elegant (+1) although not terribly limiting (-0.5)
as the only piece with Charisma other than 3 is Factitious's own.  Another +0.25
for defining the Volcano.  Add +0.25 for sensitivity, and a round +1 for some clever
punning.  Lop off -0.25 for length...although rules at this stage tend to get long.
Let's go with a +1.75 here.

Reflections:  It's been a while since I got to declare something VALID.  Maybe if I
do it more often we get less discussion on the list.  :)  We are down to three, as
Rich Holmes has passed his eligibility threshold.  I also observe the characteristics
of the Volcano, and sincerely hope that nobody makes an ash of themselves.

Glenn E. Overby II "da judge"
Clinton Twp, MI
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/

"Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature,
and we responded with the best of America...None of us will
ever forget this day, yet we go forward to defend freedom
and all that is good and just in our world."
   -- President George W. Bush
      11th September 2001