Re: 169:A (more)

From: Anton Cox (A.G.Cox_at_city.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 08:02:36 PDT

On 3 Oct 2001, Richard S. Holmes wrote:

> > My copy of the board does not have any such list. Since this copy was
> > sent out *in* a rule it does have game status - so I dont see how Aron
> > can claim that it started out in the form he describes.
>
> The number of turns taken is listed on the *side* of the board.  The
> picture shows the *top* of the board...

I was not just sent a *picture* of the board, but a *copy* of it. Rule
169:1 does not say that I was sent a copy of part of it (the top
only). A picture of something can lack some visual information
contained in that object, but I dont think that a copy can.

Also, if I wanted to be super-pedantic, I could argue that in 169:1 we
were told that

  "hopefully you will all have copies of the board and so you will
   know what is going on."

I dont think that the "hopefully" modified can be reasonably attached
to anything other than the state of ownership of a copy (ie the quote
is of the form "(hopefully X) and so Y"). I do have a copy of the
board, and thus by the rest of the quote "I will know what is going
on."

If Aron's rule holds, then ever since the start of the round I have
not known what is going on (ie, that there was a counter and that it
was decreasing), which seems to be another way in which his rule
contradicts 169:1.

Best Wishes,

     Anton