169:15 (posted as 169:14) - UNSUCCESSFUL +1.25

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:53:59 PDT

Aron Wall writes:

>I hate it when that happens.  For some reason the hypnotic vapors
>emitted by the paints used to craft the game often give players the
>delusion that it is their turn and that they are playing it out; in
>fact, they are staring immobile at the game with an odd far away look
>while chanting nonsense about what they are doing, until they snap out
>of the trance.  Often their rantings involve quite ridiculous
>assertations about the rules, but I assure you that in my most recent
>trance, in which I thought it was my turn instead of Tripper's, I was
>quite accurate in my little lecture about conflict resolution (alright,
>so my statement about pieces going into a superposition of states was
>completely delusional?  I plead insanity).  I roll the dice and get a 6,
>landing on the space of the same name and bumping Jesse back to 4.  Then
>I roll a 6 again, but am stopped by the ship space, which can only be
>passed by magical spells.  Since I am certainly not traveling by means
>of magic, I am forced to land on the ship space, bumping Richard back to
>8.  By the way, I still don't understand why the number of turns taken
>listed on the side of the board for the Judge started at 43, and keeps
>going down by one each time any of the rest of us make a move.  Is it
>possible to take a negative turn?  Does anyone know why that is?  I know
>that the Judge has a Charisma of 8, but that doesn't quite explain this
>effect.

Validity:  Aron tries to save his eligibility with 15 minutes to go.  Unfortunately for
him, Chris Barnett posted 169:14 earlier in the day, making Aron's rule 169:15.  As
an odd-numbered rule, it must specify the location of all pieces on the board (per
169:11).  This did not happen.  Given the message line of "169:14" and the usual
vagaries of e-mail and off-line composition, I conclude that Aron was reasonably
not aware that he was in fact posting an odd-numbered rule.  The rule would
otherwise be VALID.  (A magical spell is certainly a legitimate explanation of the
infamous gust of wind, which is the only way the ship space has been passed.
Da Judge was beyond 11 before that, but he apparently started there and did not
pass 11.)  Therefore, I rule UNSUCCESSFUL.

Style:  Aron continues to write rambling (-0.5) but interesting rules.  A magical spell
as an implied explanation of the gust of wind is inspired (+0.75).  The whole thread
with the Judge's token status is also cute (+0.5).  There's no doubt about the
quality of the restriction (+0.25) or the attempt to bring attributes into play (+0.25) .
Add +1.25 to the total of the style leader.

Reflections:  In the past three weeks I've seen a lot more substantially-delayed
email than usual, although not yet from this list.  This factored directly into the
UNSUCCESSFUL ruling.  I'll add this one to the summary and get it out any time
now.  It looks like we now have four players still eligible.

Glenn E. Overby II "da judge"
Clinton Twp, MI
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/

"Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature,
and we responded with the best of America...None of us will
ever forget this day, yet we go forward to defend freedom
and all that is good and just in our world."
   -- President George W. Bush
      11th September 2001