169:14 - INVALID +2

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 08:50:27 PDT

Christopher Bartlett writes:

>begin
>Well, I better get in while the gettin's good.  I place my golden flute
>(strength 0, magic 1, charisma 5) on the start space and nervously take the
>dice in hand.  I'm expecting a run of doubles, which might have grave
>consequences, but franticly paging through the unwritten rules section on
>the inside cover of the box, I find out that apostrophes within words are
>included in the set of letters.  With relief, I roll a 3+4 = 7.  At this
>point I could choose to add or subtract my magic score from the roll, but I
>would rather draw a constraint card.  It reads as follows: No future rule
>may make it more difficult for any player other than its creator to reach
>square 70 and thus win the game.
>end.
>
>--
>Rule Date: 2001-10-02 12:18:34 GMT

The Judgement:

Validity:  I want to call this one VALID, but I can't.  169:1 requires that the maker
of each rule state what they roll, where they land, and what happens to them
there.  The writer states that he starts on Start, rolls a 7, and winds up drawing a
constraint card, but he never says where he lands.  We can infer that he gets to
space 7, but I think that falls short of the explicit standard in 169:1.  INVALID.

Style:  A unique stretch to avoid perpetual doubles (+1).  A marvelously elegant
idea for the use of Magic (+1.5).  A Constraint that I'm glad I don't have to interpret
(-0.5), in the unStylish "No future rule may bla-bla-bla" form (-0.25).  For all that's
packed in, it's short (+0.25).  Another +2.

Reflections:  It looks like time is up on the first week, although something may be
waiting for me as I post this.  I'll get a summary out in the next couple of hours, or
at least ship it to a couple of folks to post for me.  (Still having email import
problems.)

Glenn E. Overby II "da judge"
Clinton Twp, MI
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/