169:13 - INVALID +0.25

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 23:12:27 PDT

Factitious writes:

><<<
>    As players rolling an unlucky total now have no risk of hitting
>blockades, I’m thankful for the gust of wind, which, as we know, always
>occurs exactly four turns before any roll of double zeros.  I’ve often
>wanted to take the game apart to see how it manages that, but I have
>learned nothing through my efforts save that the Constraint Cards have
>more clockwork than one would expect.
>    Anyway, I need to roll now.  One of the dice quickly lands with a 3
>facing up.  The other seems to take it’s time bouncing, but eventually
>settles for another 3.  I am now on space 19, an unremarkable location.
>    Fortunately, since I rolled doubles, I can roll again as part of
>this turn. Unsurprisingly, I get double threes again, moving to 25.
>Well, I guess I’ll roll a third time.  Of course, this makes me nervous,
>as the penalty for rolling doubles three times in a row is severe indeed
>- one must move back 4 spaces!
>    My third roll again turns out to be double threes, so after a brief
>stop on 31 I must go far back, to 27.  Oh, wait!  That’s not as bad as I
>had thought!  27 is the Castle Space, giving everyone +3 to strength as
>long as I remain here. Strength, of course, cannot be greater than 5,
>and, in the case of values which would exceed 5, is calculated by
>subtracting 5 until it is within the allowed range.  I'll choose not to
>exercise my option of rolling again, as I'm happy with my current location.
>    The current positions are: Factitious: 27. Gallivanting Tripper:
>22a.  The Wizard: Start. Dave: 2. Jesse: 6. Rich: 11. Anton: 15. Judge:
>26 bc.
><<<
>--
>Rule Date: 2001-10-02 01:43:59 GMT

The Judgement:

Validity:  The rule is not consistent with prior rules; the gust of wind cannot always
occur exactly four turns before a roll of 0-0, since we've already had a 0-0 roll with
no gust of wind heralding its arrival.  Nice try, though.  INVALID.

Style:  Long-winded (-0.5), tries to play with piece attributes (+0.25), imaginative
attempt to explain the mysterious gust of wind (+0.5), not much else here.  A soft
+0.25.

Reflections:  How do we handle lots of double-3s, and from whence came the
wind?  The mysteries remain for others, as the first week reaches its waning hours.

Glenn E. Overby II "da judge"
Clinton Twp, MI
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/

"Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature,
and we responded with the best of America...None of us will
ever forget this day, yet we go forward to defend freedom
and all that is good and just in our world."
   -- President George W. Bush
      11th September 2001