167:6, VALID, +0.1

From: Jeremy D. Selengut (selengut_at_nih.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 08:38:31 PDT

At 11:25 AM 8/21/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Begin rule
>------------------------------
>It is possible to patent Genetically modified life-forms.  So, each time A
>rule uses The "phrase of at least six words" from the previous rule, that
>phrase is now patented, and the poster who created the rule is the only
>one allowed to use it in subsequent rules.
>
>If Rule 167:5. is declared invalid, then a poster Can place any one
>"phrase of at least six words" in quotes, and it is patented and the
>poster is the only one allowed to use it.
>------------------------------
>End rule

Judgement: VALID.  Only sticky point is caused by: "any one
phrase..."  Here, David has placed two phrases in quotes, not one.  I'll
allow that since they are the same phrase, they can count as one phrase,
not two.

Style: The patenting idea is on theme, but there is nothing genetically
modified about these phrases.  The chance of someone accidentally using a
patented six word phrase is remote, so this is not much of a trap for
anyone.  David has sacrificed elegance and courage for the safety of a
hedged bet on the validity of 167:5.  It's true that this game is more
about getting valid rules than style, but I don't have to award positive
style for wishy-washiness... +0.1

David is now eligible until Aug 28, 15:25:10 and is our current leader.

Arnt, why don't I see Rule Date's on David's rule???