Re: The Regular Ordinances

From: Jesse F. W (jessefw_at_loop.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 19:05:04 PDT

To the Honorable FRC,
As I was reading the Regular Ordinances today, I had a few
questions.
Aron Wall wrote:
> [The following is also available at
> "http://www.win.tue.nl/~engels/frc/", The FRC Home Page]
>
> [Note that text in square brackets is not part of the Regular
> Ordinances]
>
> [Historical Note:
>
> The FR Committee began life as a registered committee of the Nomic
> World
>
> on-line game, but has survived the disbanding of Nomic World and
> continues as a fully independent game.
>
> --Storm]
>
> Regular Ordinances of the Fantasy Rules Committee (FRC)
>
> 1. Ordinances.  There shall be two types of ordinances: regular
> ordinances
>    and fantasy rules.  Fantasy rules shall have no effect on play
>    except
>
>    as provided for in the regular ordinances.
>
> 2. Membership.  Any person may become a member of this committee by
>    posting in the committee forum a statement of intent to join.
>    A member may resign from the committee at any time.
>
> 3. Starting a Round and posting Rules.
>    Whenever a round of play ends, a new round should begin as soon as
>    possible thereafter. The (new) Judge shall determine the exact time
>    of the start of the round, and e may also suggest a theme for the
>    round and nominate a member to post the first fantasy rule. All
>    members are eligible as if they had posted a valid fantasy rule at
>    the start of the round. Only those persons eligible to play may
>    post fantasy rules. The Judge is not eligible.
>
> 4. Eligibility to play. Each valid fantasy rule makes its author
> eligible
>    to play. This eligibility period lasts for seven (7) days from the
>    time of the rule's posting minus one (1) day for each invalid
>    fantasy
>
>    rule posted by the same person after the valid fantasy rule.
>
> 5. End of Game.  If at any time after the seventh day of a round,
> there is
>    only one person eligible to play, then
>    (a) all current fantasy rules are repealed
>    (b) the round ends
>    (c) the sole remaining player is declared winner of the just ended
>        round and becomes Judge.
>
> 6.  Judge.  The Judge is responsible for interpreting the ordinances
> and
>
>     determining the validity of fantasy rules. If a fantasy rule is
>     inconsistent with itself, previously posted valid fantasy rules,
>     or the regular ordinances, then the Judge shall declare that rule
> invalid
>     or unsuccesful, otherwise e shall declare it valid.
>
> 6a. A fantasy rule can only be declared unsuccesful if the only rule
> or
>     rules it is inconsistent with are other fantasy rules for which it
>     is reasonable to assume that the poster of the rule had not seen
> them
>     before e posted the rule.
Huh?  This rule does not make any sense.  It seems to mean that all
rules which are inconsistent with lots of rules, or the RO's or even
themselves, must be valid.  I think there is a grammar error in it
somewhere.

> 6b. Resignation.  The Judge may resign if e appoints a successor who
> agrees
>     to serve as Judge until the end of the round.
> [The new Judge becomes ineligible to play upon the old Judge's
> resignation.]
>
> 7.  Style Points.  For each fantasy rule posted, the Judge shall award
>
>     points, where -3<=X<=3.  The Judge may use any criteria e sees fit
> for
>     such awards.  At the end of a Round the Player who has collected
>     the
>
>     most Style Points will be the Wizard in the next Round.
>
> 8.  Restrictions on Judge's Power. The decision of the Judge may be
>     changed if a proposal is made to do so and that proposal
>     receives a two-thirds affirmative vote of the members voting on
>     that proposal within three (3) days after the posting of that
>     proposal.
>
>     Default. If the Judge does not declare judgment of a fantasy
>     rule within three (3) days after its posting, e shall be
>     considered then to have decided and declared that rule valid.
>
> 9.  Amendment.  The regular ordinances may be amended if a proposal is
>     posted to do so and said proposal receives a two-thirds (2/3)
>     affirmative vote of the members voting on that proposal within
>     seven
>
>     (7) days after the posting of that proposal.
>     Overrule. The regular ordinances may be overruled for a single
>     round if a proposal is posted to do so and said proposal receives
>     a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the members voting on that
>     proposal within three (3) days after the posting of that proposal.
>
> 10.  Where to Do Things.  All actions under these rules must be
> accomplished
>      by a public posting in the official committee forum.
>      The Judge may determine the location and nature of the official
>      committee forum.
>
> [As of now, "Public posting" is posting to the mailing list
> frc_at_troll.no .] [The official time of a post is the time on the "Rule
> Date" timestamp
>  appended to that post]
If there is no Rule Date timestamp, is the message timestamp
acceptable?

                Fantasy Rules Forever,
                    Jesse W